Friday, July 16, 2010

Sedona Tortilla Soup

Sedona Tortilla Soup
Adapted from the California Pizza Kitchen Cookbook


What you need
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 corn tortillas, cut into 1" squares
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp minced white onion
1 1/2 tsp minced japalapeno
2 cans of white corn (Shoepeg)
1 can diced tomatoes
1/3 c tomato paste
2 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 c water
1 can chicken stock
1 can vegetable stock



1. Over medium heat, fry tortilla in olive oil until crisp.
2. Add garlic, onions, jalapeno and cook until onions are translucent.

3. Add 1 can of corn and everything else. Save 1 can of corn for later. I know, it doesn't look too appealing now, but it'll get there. Have faith. Bring to a low boil and boil for 5 minutes.

4. Remove from heat and process in batches in a blender or in the pot with a handheld propeller blade. Hopefully you have a handheld because now my blender top is stained a beautiful light orange. I learned my lesson and am buying one of those handhelds soon.

5. Return mixture to the pot and add remaining corn. Bring to boil while stirring constantly to avoid scorching the bottom of the pot.

6. Garnish with cheese or tortilla chips. Sorry, I had a few spoonfuls before I got around to taking the picture, but it's really really yummy and good alone or as a side to any panini. It keeps for at least a week in the fridge.

The original recipe calls for 1 quart of vegetable stock but I thought the chicken stock would give it more flavor. And I've increased some of the spices (e.g., garlic and pepper) because... well, that's how I like my food. Of course, the original recipe also calls for real corn and jalapenos, but when am I going to sit and shuck 1.5 Lbs of fresh corn? Canned corn worked fine, and I used 3 pieces of bottled jalapeno circles (which actually might be more than 1.5 tsp), but it all tasted fine and all of us, toddler included, loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment