Thursday, April 9, 2009

Kids' clothing - Zutano

Not to be rude, but to be completely honest, I've returned nine out of the ten clothing gifts I've received for my son. This leads me to believe that giving clothing gifts is, in general, a bad idea. (Gift cards? Don't worry, it's not rude or impersonal. I love this!) Every mom defines "quality" and "value" differently - whether it be brand, color, design, price, etc. My sister-in-law, for example, refused to let our niece wear anything pink when she was a baby, because pink made the baby appear to be pinker (you know how newborns are kind of pinkish). A friend had an issue with where buttons were placed. I, personally, have an issue with Armani Kids t-shirts, because the neckline is tiny and inelastic, and it turns my son's face into a squinty eyed monster when we try to pull it off before putting him in his bath. (To be fair, he enjoys this and doubles over laughing after looking at himself in the mirror, but I doubt this was what they were truly aiming for).

One of the very first clothing gifts I did keep was from my husband's PhD advisor. He has two little ones himself, which gives him a leg up, but still since every mom/dad is different that doesn't explain everything. We received a set of Zutano jacket (which is more like a cotton jersey cardigan) and pants, and since then, I've spent hundreds on this brand for my son with zero regrets! First of all, the cotton is really high quality - soft, light, and thin - and perfect for babies. Secondly, they place the buttons appropriately on t-shirts! So whether they sleep on their backs or play on their tummies, you don't want the buttons to press into their little bodies. They've placed the buttons on the shoulder running sideways, plus they are not difficult to button up or open. Finally, their prints, stripes, and solids come in color combinations that easily mix & match, so when they throw up or spill on a shirt, you don't have to a) change everything they're wearing 5 times a day or b) have your kid looking like a fashionista's nightmare (matching colors, please!).

The downside is that these things are not easy to find. They used to be sold in one of the tiny shops in downtown Ann Arbor, but that store has since closed down, and I am buying them online on various sites (http://www.comfykid.com/ is where I got started, but there are many more!).

Zutano is much cuter for the under 24mo crowd - now we've outgrown this size and I'm searching for a reliable replacement. If you're searching for the perfect baby shower gift (especially for me!), have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment