Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Skincare - whitening lines

This spring's keyword in skincare, at least in Seoul, has been "whitening". Since this fair skin/whitening thing is an Asian craze, I thought I'd stock up while I was still in Seoul. Good thing, because I checked on a few brands, and most of the time, the whitening lines are not available in the US.

Supposedly you're not supposed to mix and match whitening products, and using the entire regimen is supposed to make it more effective (we'll see in a few months if this is true or not), so after some soul searching and shopping around, I finally settled on the Kiehl's Ultimate White line.

Based on hours of avoiding work and surfing online reviews, it seems SK-II's whitening line is viewed as the most effective. It may also be because it's so pricy! Comparing the same products (e.g., toner, essence, lotion, etc.) it was on average 2.5 times more expensive than Kiehl's. And based on my years of cosmetics purchases? It can't really be 2.5 times more effective (assuming I continue using everything I buy before I move on to a new craze). So I settled for Kiehl's. (Although I do plan on trying the SK-II Whitening Source Dermdefinition essence at some point in my life...)

On top of the value for money (to be confirmed, if it's really effective), the great thing about the Kiehl's line is the awesome citrus smell. I've been using it for a week now and it's too soon to tell the long-term effects, but the Brightening Exfoliator definitely makes your skin look brighter immediately after rinsing. The toner is a bit gross because instead of the usual clear color, it turned out to be whitish fluid, but it soon disappears into your cotton swab.

If this effort proves to be fruitless, I will go back to relying on the one product I swear by - the La Mer Refining Facial, with pure diamond powder. Again, I'm not sure of the long-term effectiveness, but after spending time in the sun or whenever I'm unhappy with how my skin is looking, I can rely on the Refining Facial to brighten my complexion, at least for a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment